Category: General

Seedling update

Just a quick snap shot of some of the seedlings I have in the “nursery”.

Seedlings

These are my sunflower seedlings (seven), I think they are doing quite well! Thank you Fina!

Sunflower Seedlings


Seed Table

I have just finished creating a table with details on all the seeds I have to sow this year (“Seed Table” in the top Menu!)

It took some work, but fun and I must have learned some of it along the way??? It’s going to be sowing time very soon, so I have to get myself armed with all my pots, labels, propagators, soil, etc. then the fun can begin!!!!


My new nursery..

Look what my brilliant OH made me today for storing all my new seedlings, cuttings, etc.

New Nursery

This was previously a cage for my bunnies, but has now been upcycled for my new hobby. It is perfect, the light can get everywhere as there are no solid surfaces, there will be no ventilation problems and it also has wheels so is really easy to move around. It will be stored in the “greenhouse” (which is an unheated room in our house used for storage). It means I don’t have to go outside to the garage in the winter months to check on my new plant babies, what a lucky girl!!

 


Planted 85 bulbs today!

We bought 85 bulbs from Lidl a couple of weeks ago, with daffs, crocus, allium, tulips, anemone and grape hyacinth:

 

I nearly didn’t get them as I knew there wasn’t room in the flowerbed! But we decided that the area around the old poplar stump was a good place for the new editions. I dug over the area (a couple of days ago) to get rid of weeds and roots. I then dug in some horse manure, planted 2 clusters of grasses and marked out the places for the bulbs.

Today I planted all 85 bulbs – knackered but it’s worth it! Tulips and Anemones in the flower bed and the rest in the tree flowerbed.

Tree Flowerbed1

Tree Flowerbed2

It doesn’t look much at the moment but at least it is tidier than it used to be and has a purpose now!

The primroses are wild and just sprouted up at the beginning of the year, so they are staying!

I have labelled the bulbs in the flowerbed as I don’t want to be weeding the wrong things:

A – Anemones
A1 – Allium Moly
A2 – Allium Oreophilum
T – Tulip


Horse Manure & Fennel!?!

This morning I dug in 10l of horse manure to the flowerbed. I love my “Claw” I think I would still be out there now if I didn’t have it!!

This afternoon our friends gave us a fennel plant, unfortuately it had been out of the ground and in the the sun for 5 hours before we could bring it home. So needless to say I watered it thoroughly, dug a nice whole, watered that thoroughly then planted it. It looks dreadful and I can’t imagine it will survive but we will give it a go!


Brand new flowerbed

This is the new flowerbed…

New Flowerbed

This area of the garden was once was home to decking (just 2 days ago in fact!). It had been up for over 10 years, was looking a little tired and the trees are providing a lot more shade than they used to, so there was really no need for it any longer. Just yesterday this gorgeous new bed was just a patch of dirt:

Pre New Flowerbed

A new project was born and a new hobby for me too!